JONESBORO, Ark. – Police are looking into a number of forged checks being cashed in Jonesboro.
A little after 4 PM on Monday, police were dispatched to Food Smart on Gee Street. The store manager said several forged checks had been cashed. Five masked suspects were listed: four 19-year-old males and one 38-year-old female. The forged checks were:
- A FedEx payroll check for $720.25
- A FedEx payroll check for $705.84
- A FedEx payroll check for $603.48
- A FedEx payroll check for $720.64
- A First National Bank check for $122.46
- A First National bank check for $163.91
That wasn’t the only Food Smart location affected by the rash of fake checks. Multiple other reports were filed by Food Smart on Nettleton Avenue.
- A forged FedEx check in the amount of $625.45 was cashed to a 19-year-old male suspect.
- Multiple FedEx payroll checks, totaling $1064.19, were cashed to the suspects. The two suspects were 19-year-old males
- A fake FedEx check for $703 – by a 19-year-old male. This report showed a suspect’s name – Alva Turner, 19, of Jonesboro.
In addition to that, a report was also filed on Monday at Bill’s Cost Plus, 200 East Johnson Avenue, of similar circumstances. Two FedEx checks were cashed – one for $720.45 and one for $710.45 – in both instances to a 19-year-old male, identity masked.
Most of the reports are still hidden, due to the alleged crimes being felonies. The various reports are linked together as grouped items. JPD’s Public Information Specialist Sally Smith said the cases involved various suspects and not just one.
Det. Davis is still working on these cases. One arrest has been made (Alva Turner, 19 of Jonesboro) and his PC hearing was yesterday, where he received a $4500 bond. There are other suspects and we anticipate more arrests. – Smith told NEA Report