JONESBORO, Ark. – Four choices go before the Jonesboro City Council Tuesday in the long-held debate on how to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Freedom Trail – naming bike and pedestrian trails from the downtown area to Arkansas State University. Historical information would be placed along the trail.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Drive – renaming Commerce Drive.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard – renaming Aggie Road
- Do Nothing. This is what has been done about the matter so far.
The recommendations (the first three items on this list) come from an 11-member panel called the Unity Coalition Advisory Committee. They met four times, concluding in August.
The committee was formed by the council as it tabled making a decision on renaming Johnson Avenue. Noticeably absent from the recommendations, it seems Johnson will remain as-is.
The city council will meet at 5:30 PM Tuesday in the Jonesboro Municipal Center, 300 S. Church Street.
- Alcohol permit for new club: Sunny’s on Main, 237 S Main Street.
- Two rezoning requests by Gary Harpole/Halsey Thrasher Harpole. One is 3.79 acres from multifamily residential to mixed use. The other is a parking lot at 516 Jefferson from commercial to residential.
- Purchasing rights for sidewalk construction on North Patrick
- Condemnation of properties at 1604 Angela Drive and 2008 Prescott Drive
- A resolution to begin using $604,085 in federal block grant funds on infrastructure, public facilities, homeownership assistance, homelessness activities, demolition, and other needs.
- The Sanitation Department needs to lease two new trucks due to equipment breaking down.