Dog passes away from poisoning

A Jonesboro Police Department patrol car. Photo by Stan Morris.

JONESBORO, Ark. – A man’s dog died after becoming poisoned recently, a Jonesboro police report said, but no one is certain how – or why.

At 1 p.m. Tuesday, JPD was dispatched to the 2200-block of Rains Street in reference to the call no friend of animals wants to hear – a dog being poisoned. The complainant, 28, said his dog had become extremely ill on Sunday, all of a sudden.

He rushed his yellow lab to the emergency vet clinic, where the doctor told him his canine friend had been poisoned. The dog did not survive. 

“In our area with a lot of the farm country, the most likely thing we see is organophosphate poisoning, here they get into farm chemicals and stuff like that,” A representative with the Jonesboro Family Pet Hospital said. “With that you would see vomiting, diarrhea with blood, those would be the most common things. Some of the chemicals pets can accidentally get into can be more nonspecific and make them not hungry. Even a very small drop of antifreeze can kill a pet. It crystallizes in the kidneys and causes the kidneys to shut down.”

It was not known who might poison the animal intentionally – and the report indicated the owner of the lab did not know of anyone who might act in such a way. It may have been intentional or just a horrible accident but so far, there seems to be no way to know, based on reports.

Update: 4 p.m. – After JPD investigated, they have found no evidence of criminal wrongdoing. Unless more evidence comes to light, it likely will be treated as an accidental death.

Follow NEA Report on Twitter and Facebook for the latest breaking news developments from across Northeast Arkansas.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.