JONESBORO, Ark. — The man charged with first-degree murder after four pedestrians were struck at two Jonesboro locations now faces a separate felony drug case stemming from a July encounter at another Walmart.
Michael Coleman, 43, is charged in the new case with possession of between 10 and 200 grams of methamphetamine or cocaine, a Class B felony, and tampering with physical evidence, a Class D felony.
He also faces misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest and first-degree criminal mischief.
Bond in the new case was set Wednesday at $50,000 cash or surety with GPS monitoring. That bond is separate from the $5 million bond holding Coleman in the murder case.
According to a probable cause affidavit, an officer working off-duty security at the Walmart at 1815 E. Highland Drive was contacted by store management around 11 p.m. July 27.
Management reportedly asked officers to criminally ban Coleman from the store because of prior alleged shoplifting incidents.
Police said Coleman appeared extremely nervous when officers approached him. After officers determined he was serving a suspended imposition of sentence, they began searching him.
An officer reportedly felt a small bag near the back of Coleman’s belt. Police said Coleman grabbed the bag and attempted to flee, leading to a struggle with two officers.
During the struggle, officers allegedly saw Coleman attempt to place the bag of suspected methamphetamine into his mouth. Police said officers took Coleman to the ground, but the struggle resumed after everyone returned to their feet.
Coleman was pushed into a metal shelf, bending it and knocking merchandise into the aisle, according to the affidavit. Officers eventually took him back to the ground and placed him into custody.
Police said they recovered suspected methamphetamine beneath the jewelry aisle where Coleman had been taken to the ground. The substance weighed 27.5 grams.
Coleman reportedly told officers that he had swallowed methamphetamine. He was taken to a hospital and admitted because of an elevated heart rate and the possibility that he had ingested the drug.
After several hours, Coleman was released from the hospital before officers were notified, according to the affidavit.
A filing dated Aug. 18 states that probable cause had already been found in the case and that Coleman was later taken into custody on unrelated charges. His next court appearance in the drug case is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Sept. 30.
The allegations are separate from the Aug. 13 incidents in which Coleman is accused of striking pedestrians at Walmart Neighborhood Market on Harrisburg Road and Craighead Forest Park.
One of the victims, Belinda Adams, died Aug. 17. Coleman is charged in that case with first-degree murder, three Class A felony counts of criminal attempt and several additional offenses.
All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Discover more from NEA Report
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.











Be the first to comment