Homecoming Week Filled with Student and Alumni Activities
JONESBORO – Homecoming Week 2018, with a theme of “Saved by the Howl,” begins Monday, Oct. 29, with a schedule full of activities for Arkansas State University students, alumni and friends.
The week culminates Saturday, Nov. 3, with game day, reunions and tailgating hosted by various colleges, student organizations, alumni chapters and other Red Wolf fans. The Red Wolves will take on the South Alabama Jaguars, with kickoff set for 2 p.m. in Centennial Bank Stadium.
The coronation of the Homecoming King and Queen, along with presentation of Little Mister and Miss A-State and the Court, will take place during the pre-game ceremony at 1:30 p.m.
Alumni Association and university officials will recognize the Distinguished Alumni of 2018: Watson Bell of Searcy, Richard Carvell of Jonesboro, and Jane Gates of Hartford, Conn., at a breakfast and again at halftime of the Homecoming game. The 35th annual Distinguished Alumni recognition will be the most recent in a program that began in 1984.
With leadership from the Student Activities Board and the A-State Alumni Association, highlights of the week include:
• Members of the Homecoming Court will be announced Monday evening during the “Mambo No. 5” karaoke dance party, beginning at 8 p.m. in Centennial Hall of the Reng Student Union.
• Class of 1968 campus tour and reunion luncheon, beginning at 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 2, at Cooper Alumni Center;
• Students in campus organizations will lead the A-State Homecoming Parade starting at 6 p.m. Friday, winding its way through campus;
• The All-Alumni Homecoming Tailgate, Saturday at 11 a.m. at Cooper Alumni Center; and
• The Red Wolf Walk through the tailgating area at Mike Watson Park begins at 11:45 a.m.
Other student and alumni events on the Homecoming Week calendar include:
• Tuesday, Oct. 30: Food ‘n the Pantry, 10 a.m., Reng Student Union. Donations will benefit the A-State Food Pantry. Awards will be given to the organization or individual with most pounds of food donated.
Props and costumes are highly encouraged for competitors in the Lip Sync Battle starting at 6 p.m., Centennial Hall, Student Union. Awards will be presented.
• Wednesday, Oct. 31: 90s movie night, 8 p.m. on the Heritage Plaza lawn, west side of the Student Union.
• Thursday, Nov. 1: Student Activities Board (SAB) is sponsoring the Yell Like Hell bonfire and spirit competition, 6 p.m., at University Loop and Honors Avenue. DJ King Vick and food trucks will be on site.
• Friday, Nov. 2: The Department of Military Science will host an open house 1-5 p.m., with the ROTC Hall of Heroes recognition, in the Military Science Building.
The College of Education and Behavioral Science will recognize its 2018 outstanding alumni at 4 p.m. in the Spring River Room of the Reng Student Union.
Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority will host a reception commemorating its 45 years on campus beginning at 5 p.m. in the Pavilion.
The SAB-sponsored Homecoming concert for A-State students only will start at 9 p.m., at the Student Activity Center. The 90s music artist who will perform will be revealed at the dance party Oct. 29.
• Saturday, Nov. 3: The Scarlet Chess Club will host a tournament beginning at 8 am.
The College of Nursing and Health Professions recognizes its outstanding alumni at 10:30 a.m. in the Donald W. Reynolds Center for Health Sciences.
The Strong-Turner Alumni Chapter will have its scholarship and alumni awards luncheon at 11 a.m. in the Spring River Room of the Student Union.
The Honors College and ROTC will host tailgates beginning at 11 a.m., and the College of Liberal Arts and Communication will host a tailgate at 11:30 a.m., all in Mike Watson Park next to the stadium.
After the game, the Strong-Turner chapter will host a party at 9 p.m. in the Hilton Garden Inn. On Sunday at 3 p.m., the chapter will host the United Voices Gospel Extravaganza in Centennial Hall.
Tickets and More Information
Game tickets are available through the Central Box Office at (870) 972-2781 or online at AState.edu/tickets.
For more details about the week’s events and activities, visit the Homecoming website, AState.edu/Homecoming, contact Alumni Relations, (870) 972-2586 or alumni@AState.edu, or the Student Activities Board, (870) 972-2055 or sab@smail.AState.edu.
# # #
This and other news releases also available at: AState.edu/news