JONESBORO – Homecoming Week at Arkansas State University begins Monday, Oct. 10, with a schedule full of activities for students, alumni and friends.
Following this year’s theme of “Welcome to Howlywood,” highlights include:
• Alumni Association and university officials will recognize the Distinguished Alumni of 2016: Tim O. Brown of Jonesboro, Scott Dawson of Germantown, Tenn., and Linda Heath Bryant White of Paragould. The 33rd annual Distinguished Alumni recognition will be the most recent in a program that began in 1984;
• Class of 1966 Golden Anniversary Reunion, Friday morning at Cooper Alumni Center;
• ROTC Open House and Reception, 3-7 p.m. Friday, at the Military Science Building in honor of the eight inductees into the U.S. Army Cadet Command Hall of Fame at Fort Knox, with remarks at 5 p.m. The inductees also will be recognized during pregame Saturday at 5:30.
• The All-Alumni Tailgate Party, 3:30-5 p.m. at the Cooper Alumni Center, precedes the Homecoming royalty introduction, starting at 5:30 p.m., including coronation of the King and Queen;
• The Greek chapters on Sorority Row are hosting open houses for their alumni Saturday, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• “Downtown by the Decades,” gatherings at downtown restaurants Friday evening to celebrate the anniversary classes of 1976 (Parsonage 322), 1986 (Godsey’s), 1996 (Skinny J’s) and 2006 (Brickhouse).
The week culminates Saturday, Oct. 15, with game day, reunions and tailgating hosted by various colleges, student organizations, alumni chapters, and other Red Wolf fans. The Red Wolves will take on the South Alabama Jaguars, with kickoff set for 6 p.m. in Centennial Bank Stadium.
Other events on the week’s calendar include:
• Monday, Oct. 10: Stepping with the Stars Step Show and Homecoming Court announcement, beginning at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center. Admission is free.
• Tuesday, Oct. 11: Survey Says: Howlywood, 3 and 5 p.m., Centennial Hall, Reng Student Union.
• Wednesday, Oct. 12: “Cans” Film Festival food drive competition for the A-State Campus Food Pantry, Heritage Plaza Lawn, Reng Student Union, 9 a.m., with judging at noon.
• Thursday, Oct. 13: Student Activities Board (SAB) is sponsoring “Live from the Red Carpet” and “Yell Like Hell,” 6-10 p.m. at University Loop and Honors Avenue. DJ King Vick will entertain, and food trucks will be on site from 6:30 to 9:30. The Red Carpet event will begin at 7:30 p.m., the bonfire will be lighted at 8 p.m. and “Yell Like Hell” will immediately follow.
• Friday, Oct. 14: The College of Education and Behavioral Science will recognize its 2016 outstanding alumni at 4 p.m. in the Delta Center for Economic Development.
• Saturday, Oct. 15: The Strong-Turner Alumni Chapter will have its scholarship award luncheon at noon in the Student Union, the College of Sciences and Mathematics hosts an open house for alumni and the College of Nursing and Health Professions recognizes its outstanding alumni at 2 p.m. After the game, the Strong-Turner chapter will host its homecoming party at 10 p.m. in the Convocation Center.
Skyler Jones of Magnolia, SAB president, commended the work of co-homecoming directors Rachel Lovell of Springdale and Robert Morris of Jacksonville for their work organizing events for students.
“We are hoping to have to have the largest student body participation in Homecoming events ever,” Jones said. “We hope everyone comes out and enjoys all of the fun things we have planned.”
Game tickets are available through the Central Box Office at (870) 972-2781 or online at AState.edu/tickets.
For details about the week’s events and activities, visit the Homecoming website,AState.edu/Homecoming, contact Alumni Relations at (870) 972-2586 or alumni@AState.edu, or the Student Activities Board at (870) 972-2055 or sab@smail.AState.edu.
# # #