JONESBORO – The 21st annual Delta National Small Prints Exhibition (DNSPE) at Arkansas State University’s Bradbury Art Museum opened Thursday, with winning selections for purchase awards and sponsorships announced.
Delta National Small Prints Exhibition is in its third decade with works in this year’s exhibition ranging from traditional imagery and printmaking techniques, such as engraving and lithography, to monotypes and experimental print mediums.
“Funding for DNSPE is provided through the generosity of several individuals,” according to Les Christensen, director of Bradbury Art Museum. “The Bradbury Art Museum’s commitment to contemporary printmaking in a small format could not be possible without these many supporters. They provide the assistance necessary to produce the exhibition and the catalog, and to offer awards to several outstanding artists.”
Artists from across the country and around the world annually submit prints to be considered for inclusion. A nationally known expert in the field of printmaking reviews the entries, then selects those to be exhibited as well as the award winners.
Dr. Ann Prentice Wagner, curator of drawings, Arkansas Arts Center, served this year as juror. From the hundreds of entries, she selected 50 prints by 50 artists for the exhibition. As with previous Delta National jurors, Wagner made her selections blindly, seeing only the title, medium and dimensions of each print, but not the artist’s name or location.
This year 12 prints were selected for purchase awards and became part of the Permanent Collection at Bradbury Art Museum. A full-color catalog of the entire exhibition, which continues through Feb. 26, is available to visitors and the artists.
The purchase award-winning entries are (in alpha order by the artist’s last name):
- The Cheryl Wall Trimarchi Purchase Award (in memory of Martha and Bryant Wall): “Salon,” 2015, linocut, by Janet Badger.
- Les Christensen Excellence in Art Purchase Award (underwritten by Julie Bates of Little Rock): “My Lucky Rock,” 2015, digital print, by David Blow.
- Kilby Raptopoulos Purchase Award (underwritten by Claude M. Erwin Jr. of Dallas): “Dark Road,” 2015, two-color linocut, by Warren Criswell.
- Don A. Tilton Purchase Award (underwritten by Don A. Tilton of Little Rock): “The Sacrifice,” 2016, aquatint and etching, by DebiLynn Fendley.
- Beth and Scot Snodgrass Purchase Award (underwritten by Beth and Dr. Scot Snodgrass of Jonesboro): “Over in the Meadow,” 2015, lithograph and hand coloring, by Carol Moore.
- Chucki Bradbury Art Purchase Award (underwritten by a Special Endowment in Honor of Chucki Bradbury): “Found Near Madronna,” 2016, drypoint engraving, by Brian Paulsen.
- President’s Purchase Award, in memory of Judy Roberts (underwritten by Mandy and Dr. Charles Welch of Little Rock): “Home from the Sea,” 2015, archival pigment photograph, by Ronald Rigge.
- Sean Rudolph Purchase Award, in memory of Sean Rudolph (underwritten by Les Christensen and John Salvest of Jonesboro): “Portrait of Daniel King: Scouting, For Men & Boys,” 2016, linocut, woodcut and lithograph, by Mark Sisson.
- Chancellor’s Purchase Award (underwritten by Joann and Dr. Doug Whitlock of Jonesboro): “Over the Mountains,” 2016, monoprint, by Kelsey Stephenson.
- Lindquist Purchase Award (underwritten by Chucki and Curt Bradbury Jr.): “Atomic Malt Shop I,” 2010, four-color process solarplate intaglio, by Chris Warot.
- Les Christensen Purchase Award (underwritten by Sharon and Evan Lindquist of Jonesboro): “Sewing Wild Oats,” 2016, mezzotint, burin engraving and hand coloring, by Carol Wax.
- Drs. Phyllis and Warren Skaug Purchase Award (underwritten by Drs. Phyllis and Warren Skaug of Jonesboro): “Disoriented Disaster,” 2016, etching, by Brandon Williams.
The six sponsorship awards this year are as follows:
- Pat and Roger Carlisle Sponsorship (underwritten by Pat and Roger Carlisle of Jonesboro), “Write a Story About Me! 1/5 e.v.,” 2011, photo intaglio and chine collé, by Florence Alfano McEwin.
- Kristy and Dr. Carl Cates Sponsorship (underwritten by Kristy and Dr. Carl Cates of Jonesboro): “Running on Empty,” 2016, etching, by David Avery.
- Dr. Jason Penry Sponsorship (underwritten by Dr. Jason Penry of Jonesboro): “Dead Horse,” 2016, monoprint, by Helen Cox.
- Mary and Don Vollman Sponsorship (underwritten by Mary E. and Dr. Don B. Vollman of Jonesboro): “The Ecstasy of Saint Teresa,” 2015, linocut, by David Johnson.
- Jenifer and Dr. Shane Hunt Sponsorship (underwritten by Jenifer and Dr. Shane Hunt of Jonesboro): “In the Forest Dark,” 2016, reductive woodcut, by Ann Johnston-Schuster.
- Jones Sponsorship, in memory of Flo and Phil Jones (underwritten by Charlott Jones, CPA and Philip A. Jones of Jonesboro): “Chiles, #10,” 2015, woodcut and chine collé, by Ouida Touchon.
BAM hours are noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 2 to 5 p.m. on Sunday, and by appointment. The exhibition, the catalog and the reception are admission-free and open to the public. For additional information please contact the museum at (870) 972-2567.
# # #
Featured photo:Cheryl Wall Trimarchi Purchase Award
(In Memory of Martha & Bryant Wall)
14 x 24 inches
This and other news releases also available at: AState.edu/news